Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I'm Learning To Be Gentle

I’ve often had therapists who told me to be a friend to myself. They told me to be gentle with myself.

I intellectually understood what they were saying, but I couldn’t practice it. I was filled with contempt for myself.

While I practiced contemptuous behavior towards myself, driving myself into illness, I inevitably practiced the same kind of contempt on others, socially isolating myself, and increasing my self-contempt.

I think we treat others as we treat ourselves. If we’re kind to ourselves, we’re more likely to be kind to others.

Anyway, I was sick all weekend but felt strong enough Monday to return to my Alexander Technique training. And as I was leaving the training, I phoned a girl and said, “I’m going to be gentle with myself this afternoon.



No comments: