Saturday, July 16, 2011

Beliefs Are Just Unnecessary Muscle Tension

Luke Ford writes: All beliefs are unnecessary muscle tension. They are an act of will imposed upon your natural state. If you lie in the sun and let go of all your unnecessary tension, you’ll find you have next to no beliefs. Get a good massage and let go of your body tension and you’ll find that you have next to no beliefs.

Experiment with this. Lie in the sun and think about a particularly strong belief you have. See if you can locate in the body where you are holding tight unnecessarily. Release the tension. See if your belief is as strong.

My belief that all beliefs are unnecessary tension is a belief accompanied by unnecessary muscle tension. When I let go of the tension surrounding that belief, I let go of the belief.

I’m not arguing that we should have no beliefs. I do think that most of us would be better off with fewer beliefs. 

I discuss the weekly Torah portion with Rabbi Rabbs every Monday at 7pm PST on my live cam and on YouTube. Facebook Fan Page. This week we study Parashat Pinchas (Numbers 25:10-30:1).



No comments: